Places to visit
Address: Papilio St.
The oldest building in the city. In the confluence of two biggest Lithuanian rivers the Nemunas and the Neris, a brick castle was built in the 14th century to repeal the attacks of Crusaders. It was the first defensive castle in Lithuania playing the significant role in the defensive system. The residential area settled around it, and became a present city later.
Visiting hours: II-VI 10-18, VII 10-16.
Address: in the centre of Rotušės Square
It is often called the White Swan. Started to be built in 1542, it unites the architectural traits of Gothic, Baroque and early Classicism. Town Hall was the centre of Kaunas in the Middle Ages, and the main market place was placed around it. After the last reconstruction of the building in 1970, Town Hall became the residence of the Wedding Palace, and Ceramic Art Museum was founded in the basement.
PERKŪNAS (THUNDER) HOUSE
Address: Aleksoto St. 6
It is one of the most original examples of Gothic architecture in Lithuania. The building was constructed at the end of the 15th century for Hanza merchants. In the 19th century, during the Romanticism period, the statue of Perkūnas (Thunder) was found in one of the walls, and the building was considered to be a sanctuary of this Pagan God. The first Drama theatre of Kaunas was established in the house in 1844. Thunder house is the property of Jesuits' gymnasium now.
It is the most beautiful street in the Old Town of Kaunas, and only pedestrians can use it. The biggest part of the buildings remained of the 16th century; some of them were reconstructed. Even telephone booths and street-lamps show that you are going down the street connecting the old and the new parts of the city.
THE GARDEN AND SQUARE OF MILITARY MUSEUM
Address: Vienybės Sq. / K. Donelaičio St. 64
The representative square of the City where commemorations of the most important historical events take place. There are also monumental busts of famous Lithuanian politicians and writers. The statue was made by the sculptor J. Zikaras. A monument built of the stones from Lithuania’s fields: the Eternal Fire and wooden crosses nearby commemorate those who were killed fighting for Lithuania independence. The focus of attention is the Liberty Statue – the symbol of Lithuanian Statehood, unveiled in 1928, destroyed during Stalinist regime, and restored again in 1989.
LAISVĖS (LIBERTY) STATUE
Address: Vienybės Sq.
By sculptor J. Zikaras. It is the symbol of Lithuanian Statehood, unveiled in 1928, destroyed during Stalinist regime, and restored again in 1989
MONUMENT FOR VYTAUTAS THE GREAT
Address: Laisves Av. / Sapiegos St.
Made by the sculptor V. Grybas. The monument unveiled in 1932, commemorating the 540th anniversary of Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas.
Address: Aleksoto funicular - Amerikos lietuvių St. 6 (II-VII 9-12, 13-18) and
Žaliakalnio funicular - Aušros St. 6 (I-VII 8-18)
Two funiculars were built in Kaunas in 1932 and in 1935, for lifting inhabitants and guests of the city to Žaliakalnis and Aleksotas. They seem very similar but are in fact with distinct differences: Žaliakalnis Funicular was built according to German companies and has the equipment of these companies, whereas the Aleksotas Funicular is built according to Swiss examples and has equipment from Switzerland.
Address: T. Masiulio St. 31
It is one of the most beautiful Baroque style erections in Lithuania. The ensemble devoted to Camaldolli Abbey was built in the 17th century under supervision of Italian masters from Florence (Michelangelo Palloni, Joan Merli, and Pietro Perti). Visiting hours: II-V 10-17, VI 10-16. First Saturday in the month – Piligrims Day.
Address: Ž. E. Žilibero St. 6
In this oasis of parks, small bridges and natural beauty, visitors have good possibility of admiring medicinal herbs and decorative plants
BANK OF LITHUANIA
Address: Maironio St. 25
It was built in 1928 and designed by architect M. Songaila and is one of the most exclusive buildings in the provisional capital of Lithuania. Interior is richly decorated by famous local painters: K. Šlėrius, P. Kalpokas, V. Didžiokas, others.